Pomegranate-Merlot Braised Lamb Shanks
This recipe came to us via a customer. So glad she sent it on to us!
About this Recipe
Sweet and tart flavor for this lamb recipe. A bit more of a Mediterranean flavor, with the added spices
- 4 1/2 lb lamb shanks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 T oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1T minced garlic
- 1T tomato paste
- 1t each chopped fresh thyme, ground cinnamon and cumin
- 1/2 t allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 C each Merlot and pomegranate juice
- 2T honey
- 1 C chicken broth
- 6 carrots, peeled and halved lenghwise
- 1 t red wine vinegar
- 1 T chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 C pomegranate seeds ( we did not have these)
Cooked couscous, quinoa or calirice for serving
- Season lamb with salt and pepper. In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 T oil. Working in 2-3 batches, brown lamb on all sides, 7-8 min per batch. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Warm 1 T oil in pan. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 7-8 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, thyme, cinnamon cumin, allspice and bay leaf; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add wine and pomegranate juice; simmer for 5 minutes. Add honey, broth, salt and pepper. Pour into slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on high for 3 hours. Add carrots; cook until lamb is tender, about 1 hour more. Transfer lamb and carrots to large platter. Pour sauce into saucepan; skim off excess fat. Set over high heat; boil until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Pour sauce over lamb. Sprinkle with parsley and pomegranate seeds. Serve with one of the sides.