Indian Style Lamb Stew
This lamb recipe comes from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.
About this Recipe
- (2lbs) Lamb, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- (1 cup) yogurt
- (1 t) cumin seeds
- (1 t) Corriander seeds
- (4 T) Clarified butter (ghee)
- (1 medium) Onion, finely chopped
- (2-3 c) Beef or Lamb Stock
- (2 cloves) Garlic, mashed
- (1/2 t) Saffron Threads soaked in 2 T Water
- (1 T) Freshly Grated Ginger
- (3 T) Green Chile Peppers, Chopped
- (1/4 t) Ground Tumeric
- (3 limes or 2 lemons) Juice
- (2 T) Arrowroot mixed with 2 T water
- (1/4 c) Cilantro, chopped
- (1 C) Crispy Almond Slivers
Marinate the lamb in yogurt in the refrigerator for 12-24 hrs.
Spread the cardamom, cumin and coriander seeds on a plate and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until browned.
Heat clarified butter in a flameproof casserole and saute the onions with the seeds.
Add lamb, marinade and stock. Bring to a boil and skim.
Add soaked saffron threads, garlic, ginger, chile peppers, turmeric and lemon or lime juice.
Cover the pot and simmer over low flame for about 1 1/2 hrs, stirring occasionally.
Add arrowroot mixture, a spoonfull at a time, until desired thickness is obtained. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and almonds. Serve with basic brown rice (or cauli rice).
Don’t have lamb for the recipe? You can get a whole lamb here.