Indian Style Lamb Stew
4 to 6
- 2 pounds of Rafter W Ranch Lamb (cut into 3/4 inch pieces)
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 4 tbsp Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- 1 medium Onion (finely chopped)
- 2-3 cups Beef or Lamb Stock
- 2 cloves Garlic (mashed)
- 1/2 tsp Saffron Threads (soaked in 2 tbsp of water)
- 1 tbsp Freshly Grated Ginger
- 3 tbsp Green Chile Peppers, Chopped
- 1/4 tsp Ground Tumeric
- 3 Limes or 2 Lemons (juice only)
- 2 tbsp Arrowroot (mixed with 2 tbsp water)
- 1/4 cup Cilantro (chopped)
- 1 cup Crispy Almond Slivers
2) Spread the cardamom, cumin and coriander seeds on a plate and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until browned.
3) Heat clarified butter in a flameproof casserole and saute the onions with the seeds.
4) Add lamb, marinade and stock. Bring to a boil and skim.
5) Add soaked saffron threads, garlic, ginger, chile peppers, turmeric and lemon or lime juice.
6) Cover the pot and simmer over low flame for about 1 1/2 hrs, stirring occasionally.
7) Add arrowroot mixture, a spoonful at a time, until desired thickness is obtained. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and almonds. Serve with basic brown rice (or cauli rice).