Cream of Vegetable Soup
This recipe was the boys favorite growing up and for a nice, cold windy snowy day!
6 to 8
PREP: 30 minutes
COOK: 30 minutes
READY IN: 60 minutes
This basic vegetable soup recipe is a personal favorite of my boys growing up and it’s a great way to get your children to eat zucchini. And while this recipe call for “chicken stock” an amazing way to get the BEST TASTING stock is by ordering Rafter’s chicken, which makes the PERFECT BROTH for this soup favorite. Visit our store to order some chicken today!
Steps to Make It
- 2 medium onions or leeks, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium baking potatoes or 6 red potatoes, washed and cut up
- 2 quarts chicken stock or combination of filtered water and stock
- Several sprigs fresh thyme, tied together
- 1/2 teaspoon dried green peppercorns, crushed
- 4 zucchini, trimmed and sliced
- Sea salt or fish sauce and pepper to taste
- Pima cream or creme fraiche
1) Melt butter in a large, stainless steel pot and add onions or leeks and carrots. Cover and cook over the lowest possible heat for at least 1/2 hour. The vegetables should soften but not burn.
2) Add potatoes and stock, bring to a rapid boil and skim. Reduce heat and add thyme sprigs and crushed peppercorns. Cover and cook until the potatoes are soft.
3) Add zucchini and cook until they are just tender — about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs.
4) Purée the soup with a handheld blender.
5) If the soup is too thick, thin with filtered water. Season to taste. Ladle into heated bowls and garnish with cultured cream. Serve with round croutons.